Environment and Biotechnology Division
Functions of the Division
- Undertake research and development in applied microbiology and environment for industrial and other applications
- Undertake technology transfer of generated technologies
- Provide technical assistance and support services to clients, (i.e., industry, academe) in relation to the division s field of expertise; and
- Contribute in the planning and implementation of the Institute s programs/projects.
Functions of the Section
Industrial Fermentation Technology Section
- Develop, isolate and/or screen and characterize microorganisms for industrial applications; and
- Develop and improve technologies (physical, thermal, chemical) involving the utilization of microorganisms for the production of chemicals, alternative and/or renewable fuels, materials, food, feeds, additives, enzymes, biocides, solvents, etc. for local industries.
Microbial Treatment Section
- Develop, isolate and/or screen and characterize microorganisms from indigenous sources for waste treatment and other environmental concerns;
- Develop and improve technologies involving the utilization of microorganisms for waste treatment; and
- Develop laboratory, bench and pilot scale applications of developed technologies for the biological treatment of industrial waste water.
Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production Section
- Promote the integration of cleaner production principles in R&D, manufacturing and in the various sectors of industry;
- Provide CP related services;
- Conduct and/or facilitate technology verification on environmental technologies; and
- Develop CP and environmental technology verification (ETV) databases.
Waste Management Section
- Develop and improve technologies involving the physical, chemical, and thermal processing of industrial wastes.
- Conduct laboratory and bench scale applications of developed technologies for the non-biological treatment of industrial wastes.