2009 to present - 26th of August, the ITDI Rationalization Plan was approved and immediately implemented. The new structure consisted of the merger of some divisions / sections while the other divisions remained as separate divisions with minor internal restructuring.
1987 - The NSTA was reorganized into the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) by virtue of Executive Order Number 128 dated 30 January 1987.
Under this reorganization, NIST was renamed Industrial Technology Development Institute (ITDI) and remained one of the R&D institutes under the DOST. All centers were abolished and ITDI now has ten (10) technical divisions with (MSRI) now absorbed by ITDI. Seven (7) divisions to undertake R&D activities, three (3) to render technical services and two (2) support divisions were created.
1982 - By virtue of Executive Order Number 784 dated 17 March 1982, the NSDB was reorganized into the National Science and Technology Authority (NSTA). Under the reorganization NIST remained as one the R&D Institutes under the NSTA.
As reorganized, research on agriculture was transferred to UPLB while the ceramics center emerged into an independent institute (MSRI).The Biological and Industrial research center were also abolished and in their place, three (3) centers were created namely: the National Research and Development (NRDC), Chemical Research and Development Center (CRDC), and the National Standards and Testing Center (NSTC). Under the NRDC and CRDC are seven(7) programs to undertake R&D activities, while the NSTC provides standardization and technical services.
1973 - As part of the overall reorganization of the Executive branch of the government, the NIST was reorganized, but retained the same name. With the merger of the Agriculture Research Center, Biological Research Center and Medical Center, only two (2) technical R&D centers remained, namely Biological Research Center and Industrial Research Center. In addition, these were the Tests and Standards Laboratory and the Scientific Instrumentation Division to provide standardization and technical services.
1958 - Under the so-called "Magna Carta of Philippine Science" RA 1067, NSB was reconstituted as the National Science Development Board (NSDB) which was designed to coordinate and supervise all scientific activities in the country. NSIRI became the National Institute of Science and Technology (NIST) under the supervision of NSDB.
1956 - Congress approved RA Number 1606 authorizing the establishment of the National Science Board (NSB). IST was changed to the National Scientific and Industrial Research Institute (NSIRI), and was placed under supervision of NSB.
1951 - The IS was renamed Institute of Science and Technology (IST) by virtue of Executive Order No. 392 and for the first time primarily concerned itself to industry-oriented research.
1947 - The BS was transformed into the Institute of Science (IS) by virtue of Executive Order No. 94.
1934 - The headship of the BS was passed on for the first time to a Filipino chemist. Dr. Angel S. Arguelles. The present-day Bureau of Soils, Bureau of Mines, Bureau of Fisheries and National Survey Division of Education Museum developed initially as part of the Bureau of Science during the pre-war years.
1905 - By virtue of the Philippine Commission Act. No. 1407, the BGL was reorganized into the Bureau of Science (BS) and expanded its functions to include the Bureau of Mines and the Ethnological Survey Division of Education.
1901 - 1st of July - The Bureau of Government Laboratories (BGL) came into existence through the Philippine Commission Act. No. 156. It was composed of the biological and chemical laboratories, a science library, and the Serum Laboratory of the Board of Health.